Boyz II Mom
- The Beatles, "Mother Nature's Son"
- Warren Zevon, "Mama Couldn't Be Persuaded"
- Mr. T, "Treat Your Mother Right"
- Ozzy Osbourne, "Mama, I'm Coming Home"
- Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, "Motherly Love"
- Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson, "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys"
- Bob Dylan, "Mama, You Been on My Mind"
- Funkadelic, "Cosmic Slop"
- Marc Rizzo, "Mamasita"
- John Lee Hooker, "Mama, You've Got a Daughter"
- The Rolling Stones, "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?"
- Neil Young, "New Mama"
- Danzig, "Mother"
- The Jackson 5, "Mama's Pearl"
- 2pac, "Dear Mama"
- Pink Floyd, "Mother"
- Merle Haggard, "Mother Tried"
- John Lennon, "Mother"
- Johnny Cash, "Send a Picture of Mother"
- Paul Simon, "That Was Your Mother"
- The Beach Boys, "Mama Says"
- Stevie Wonder, "Easy Goin' Evening (My Mama's Call)"
With my mom's preferences in mind, metal is at a minimum. Ozzy was of course the first to spring up, and Danzig's "Mother" is almost as cuddly these days. Marc Rizzo from Soulfly pulls off an impressive flamenco number on "Mamasita," but Mom's tastes are more reflected in the Beatles and Stevie Wonder picks.
Of course a Mother's Day mix needs a lot of country ("Mama Tried" being the one I can relate to most,) and I got to rescue 2Pac and Pink Floyd tracks from records that I used to bother Mom with. I actually like both of them better in this context, and I'm hoping she will, too. With the Stones and Beatles, I shunned the obvious choices ("Mother's Little Helper," "Your Mother Should Know") and wound up with better songs. Not that I'm elitist enough to admit it.
Luckily, two of my favorite sources for music, Rob Sheffield and Sound Opinions, also came up with playlists for me to cherry pick from. This resulted in Funkadelic's terrific "Cosmic Slop," which I hadn't realized counts as a mom song, a wistful a capella number from the Beach Boys and most notably, "Treat Your Mother Right," which could not exist if not for mixes like this one.
Listening again, I'm wondering if the Zappa and John Lennon choices were appropriate. I guess that many boys have complicated feelings about their mommies.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom Apatoff.
Download here: Boyz II Mom