Thursday, April 9, 2015

Aerosmith, "Home Tonight"

21 Days to Find a Home



Spin magazine (probably Chuck Klosterman) has my favorite quote about Aerosmith's Rocks, which I'll paraphrase here: They'd one day get their own roller coaster at Disney World, but on Rocks Aerosmith were their own roller coaster.

It doesn't have as many hits as Toys in the Attic or Pump, but Rocks is their best album, Aerosmith at their wildest, loudest and hardest (hell, even Testament couldn't make "Nobody's Fault" sound heavier). After "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," it's easy to forget that Aerosmith made an album that inspired Slash, James Hetfield and Kurt Cobain to pick up guitars, but with one to Rocks I wonder why anyone remembers "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" at all. It's the only Aersomith album to have only one power ballad, and like everything else on Rocks it's a doozy, with vocal harmonies that deserve the Mick and Keith comparisons and one of Joe Perry's most transcendent solos. Listening again, I can't blame them for going soft after Rocks--how were they ever going to top this?


No comments: