Monday, December 23, 2013

The Weepies, "Gotta Have You"



Last summer, two of my closest friends gave me the honor of creating a playlist for their wedding reception. One song that made it to the final mix was this one, which the bride had introduced to me months earlier. As much as I'm predisposed to dislike a twee indie folk-pop married couple writing love songs to each other, something about this one totally got its hooks in me. What can I say--I like it for the same reasons that I like Cameron Crowe movies. I even decided I liked it enough to put it next to Nick Cave and Stevie Wonder on the playlist, and now to post it next to GWAR on my predominately metal blog.

This week, the Weepies announced that guitarist Deb Talan has stage 2 breast cancer. From the band's social networking page:

Thank you for the outpouring of love and support. We are overwhelmed, we accept, and we intend to take all the help we can get!

A lot of people have asked if they can do anything. Sure! If you want to send Deb a love note or care package or a few words of encouragement via snail mail, we say yes.

The Weepies
PO Box 2776
Iowa City, IA 52244

Also, what you can do – make an appointment for yourself to get your yearly cancer screening, right now.
With love,
Deb & Steve

I'll be sending them a note this week, and I hope you will too.

No comments: