Thursday, June 6, 2013

Kelley Deal, "Fucking Hostile"

Few songs have ever left a bigger mark on me than Pantera's "Fucking Hostile," which gave me my first impression of metal that wasn't on the radio and eventually featured in the introduction to my first book. I still hear it the same way that I did in sixth grade, but I barely hear it at all in Kelley Deal of the Breeders' version, recorded for the Free the West Memphis 3 benefit album.



I love the sludge pacing, all the bizarro outbursts in the background (who are those people?) and the restructuring of the verses and chorus. Deal's composed delivery is at the other end of Phil Anselmo's unhinged barking, and hearing this work so well makes me appreciate both of them more. The latter's lyrics, usually seen as anti-intellectual, sound abstract and surreal in Deal's voice. I never thought of Deal as much of an interpreter, but I'd pick up an entire album of her metal covers.

No comments: