Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Guns N' Roses, "Patience"

From John Jeremiah Sullivan's "The Final Comeback of Axl Rose:"



"As it is, I'm left listening to 'Patience' again. I don't know how it is where you are, but down south where I live, they still play it all the time. And I whistle along and wait for that voice, toward the end, when he goes, Ooooooo, I need you. OOOOOOO, I need you. And on the first Ooooooo, he finds a note so tissue-shredding it conjures the image of someone peeling his own scalp back, like the skin of a grape. I have to be careful not to attempt to sing along with this part, because it makes me, like, sort of throw up a little bit. And on the second OOOOOOO, you picture just a naked glowing green skull that hangs there vibrating gape-mouthed in a hyperbaric chamber.
Or whatever it is you picture."

No comments: