Saturday, September 15, 2012

Song of the Day, Hüsker Dü, "Makes No Sense at All"

How did it take me so long to get Flip Your Wig? Everything I'd read about Zen Arcade and New Day Rising on Allmusic.com and the Spin Alternative Record Guide led me to believe that they were Hüsker Dü's best records, but over ten years later I'm getting just as delirious for Flip Your Wig, released in the same one and a half-year period of creativity.

Maybe "Makes No Sense At All" would have been Copper Blue's hit, had Bob Mould saved it for a few years. It'd be unthinkable in 1985, but now it sounds more radio-friendly (in an alternative way) than anything on Mould's newest, Silver Age.




Grant Hart gets most credit for writing Hüsker Dü's catchiest songs, but I think this one is more ingratiating than anything else that they ever recorded. I also like the lyrics--how many songs do you know about arguments that aren't about break-ups? Stressing that point for the sake of both Mould and Hart.

No comments: