Thursday, March 20, 2008

Genghis Ah Um

The newest young headbangers to get caught up in the hype machine are Genghis Tron. Unlike death-metalers Job for a Cowboy, the last overpromoted band I reviewed, Genghis Tron offer a distinct sound, original ideas and a cool name. On Board Up the House, the band's Relapse debut, it's clear that the talented trio's potential is in their sights, if not quite in their grasp.


It'd be an understatement to call Genghis Tron's sound unique, being as they're the only metal band I know of without a bassist or a real drummer (drum machine users like Devon Townsend and Ministry don't count--they employ real kits live). They're one of the only metal bands that can use keyboards and synthesizers without sounding lame, and those electronics dominate Board Up the House, incorporating industrial and prog influences into songs hardcore enough to compete with Converge (whose Kurt Ballou produced the record). Guitarist/drum machinist Hamilton Jordon recently named Tool's Ænima and NIN's The Downward Spiral as his two favorite albums, and his band evokes the former on the ambient doom epic 'I Won't Come Back Alive' and the latter on the seething electro-interlude 'The Whips,' but Genghis Tron still have very few precedents. You may not hear a more original metal record this year.

Yet Board Up the House is more admirable than interesting. Granted, the band's textures and arrangements make the songs on Board Up the House more intriguing than, say, a predictably consistent Killswitch Engage record, but they don't have enough memorable hooks or jaw-dropping lyrics to push themselves into the metal elite. There's nothing terrible on Board Up the House, and it all sounds good while it's playing, but their sonic inventiveness leaves a stronger impression than the actual songs. Board Up the House is the work of a band finding its voice, on the verge of breaking free from the shadow of Tool but not yet ready for the spotlight. Also, I'm very impressed that Jordan and keyboardist Michael Sochynsky can handle their instruments while manning drum machines on stage, but I'd really like to hear what heights a real live drummer like Danny Carey or (lest my cup runneth over) Igor Cavalera could push them to.

Like the film that shares their surname, Genghis Tron are more innovative and exciting than they are superior. But the talent is clearly there, and the exhilarating, Neurosis-channeling closer 'Ergot (Relief)' is nothing short of stunning, leaving a great final impression and further indicating the band's good future. With Board Up the House, Genghis Tron have brought new ideas to the table, and I expect that they'll soon know what to do with them.



On a note unrelated to the music, I'm very glad that the members of Genghis Tron are OK after their bus crashed in Ohio this week. I'm hoping that they'll get a new van in time to continue their tour with Converge, Baroness and the Red Chord, which looks like one of the best spring metal tours in the states right now.

2 comments:

Chloe said...

Nice, informative post! I have been having a hard time avoiding Genghis Tron lately, you're right, they are perhaps over-promoted given that they are suddenly ubiquitous. But what you've said about them seems to make sense, and now I'm actually interested enough to listen to them. I had previously been also having a hard time (without listening to them) figuring out WHAT the hell genre they were.

Different people say different things, the supposed electronic elements were throwin' me off, wasn't sure if they were actually metal....I can see clearly now. Ok. I'll listen. :)

Ben Apatoff said...

Thanks for reading! I'll be interested to hear your take on Genghis Tron--in the few weeks since I reviewed them, I think Black Tide has taken their place for the 'most overhyped metal band' honors.

If you're going to New England Metal & Hardcore Fest, I'm extremely jealous--I'm hoping to catch Gigantour and Ministry/Mehuggah here, but if I were in the Boston area I would have picked up a 3-day pass.

Take care,
Ben