Friday, November 2, 2007

Sad Day


Earlier this year, I reviewed Decapitated's performance at Summer Slaughter. "Decapitated tore through a frantic, monster-riffed show that ensured their status as one of the most exciting metal bands in the world, and the most brutal Polish import since Andrew Golota," I wrote, and that doesn't start to do justice to how great the show was. (For a better sense, pick up their most recent album, Organic Hallucinosis, one of the best of 2006). What I didn't mention was that I had the honor of meeting the guys before the show outside the venue, and they were as friendly and gracious as any gawking fan like myself could hope--truly standup guys. I ended my piece on them by mentioning that Decapitated "promised to return to New York soon, with Amon Amarth. I'm there." From here, I can see my Amon Amarth tickets resting on my bookshelf.

It looks like NYC will be treated to only one Decapitated show this year, as drummer Witold "Vitek" Kieltyka has passed away. A few days ago, Decapitated were in a devastating bus accident in Russia, in which both Vitek and singer Adrian "Covan" Kowanek received serious head injuries. This morning, it was officially announced that Vitek has died. He was 23.

Vitek was a drum prodigy who started playing death metal with Decapitated in 1996, at the age of 12. As a drummer, he went far beyond the call of duty of keeping the band's timing. His fluid double-bass action and head-spinning fills were at the forefront of the band's greatness, and live he made his extreme technical skill seem effortless. It's hard to imagine a bunch of metal warriors like Decapitated not persevering in the face of such a tragedy, but it's even harder to believe that they'll ever have such a talent as Vitek behind the kit for them.

This is probably the saddest day in metal history since the death of Dimebag Darrell. Best thoughts are with the band and their families right now. Rest in peace, Vitek.


No comments: